Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tribute to Robin Gibb

For many people of my generation, the Bee Gees is merely a memory of their parents' radio. Maybe, they have heard of younger artists covering their songs, such as Destiny Child's "Emotions", Boyzone's "Words", Celine Dion's "Immortality", even S.H.E's "Woman in Love", "I.O.I.O", and many more.

Many would have heard of their famous Disco songs such as "Stayin' Alive", "Tragedy", "More Than a Woman", etc etc. Yes you might know that they are one of the most successful groups ever, they have hit the chart from the 60's to year 2001, 40 years of success. They have sold 220 million over albums throughout their career, and had 5 consecutive number 1 in the Billboard (which is still a record). "Saturday Night Fever" is still the best selling movie soundtrack ever, and it would take a long time for me to list out their achievements of a dazzling music career.

To me it means much more. For a few years, I listened to their songs almost everyday. While my friends are listening to Jay Chou, Lee Hom, and David Tao in the 2000s, I was listening to the Bee Gees.

Robin Gibb, the second brother, passed away few days ago at the age of 62.

I am sure you don't even know such person exists- a Chinese boy who was born in the late 80s, inspired and enjoyed your music so much. Thank you for the music is all I wanna say.


I can think of younger days, when living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do
I could never see tomorrow
But I was never told about the sorrow

And how can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?

How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again

I can still feel the breeze that rustles through the trees
and misty memories of days gone by
We could never see tomorrow
No one said a word about the sorrow

No comments: