Monday, July 12, 2010

Happiness

Let's talk about happiness today! Since some of my friends keep asking me "eh your blog is very emo eh, are you ok?". It's not that I am always emo, it's just that I am used to releasing my stress and emotions in this little space of mine. I don't like to go and talk to everyone in the world and telling them that "i'm unhappy" or "i'm worried", it's just not me!

I gotta admit that in the last 2 weeks in Sydney is my happiest time of my semester, well ironically. Besides going out with friends, I really enjoy myself going to the monastery. If you think that monks and nuns are just a bunch of people who are afraid to face the "real world", please think again. For me they are very hardworking people who are facing the real world by not indulging themselves in any kinds of sensual pleasure and working hard towards the liberation of mind. Moreover, they "prepare" and "maintain" such peaceful places for us so that we can get away from the hectic life and enjoy the peace for at least a while. They are like the "mind doctor" and I am really thankful to them.

There was an unforgettable experience during the winter retreat, although I still can't really "enjoy" myself too much as a participant because I need to assist the organisers in many ways. Firstly, I get to feed the birds (finally)!!! You can see the word "envy" written all over my face last year when I saw people feeding the birds but I didn't get to do it because I was the organiser and too busy running here and there. Finally I fulfilled my "desire" hehe.

Then during the second day of the retreat, we had a session called "compassion in action", which we helped to clean up the monastery and sort out all the rubbish and firewood. It was pretty tiring for me first to smash the cans (which requires a lot of energy- trust me) and then helping to move the firewoods (some are really heavy) . After almost 3 hours of working, the session was ended and everyone is resting happily after the hardwork. However, the disease of the president works on me again, I decided to go around and see if there's anything I can help. I see a bunch of people around the firewoods near the female dorm. When I reached there, we helped out the remove the firewoods from the trucks. When we were about to leave, a few of us, all males, decided to jump onto the truck (very playful, indeed).

I was on a truck with Gilbert while Sayadaw is driving. We have to hold the truck tightly because there are bumps all along the way. I was enjoying myself although it's only a 3 minutes drive. When the truck was moving towards the pond, I realised that I am smiling happily. Then I realise that this is happiness without worries at all- happiness we all enjoyed when we were young. This hasn't happened to me for a LONG LONG time especially with such hectic life in Sydney and things I am going through. When we were at the side of the Kuanyin pond I saw Mei Ling and Kelly taking photos and I smiled to them. They probably don't understand why am I so happy. Haha! After that, I walked to the lawn outside the shrine hall and the kitchen (where the Buddha statue is facing) and lie on there and sleep for half an hour. Truly unforgettable experience.

Anyway, just a very small incident happened in the retreat, but I got some really good feelings out of it, and back in Penang now, getting enough rest, I know that I am recharged for another busy semester!

Me feeding the birds- it requires patience and loving kindness! (Photo credited to Mei Ling)

The lawn I am referring to (Photo credited to Mei Ling)

The pond and the pagoda! Kelly, were you taking this photo when I was on the truck? (Photo credited to Kelly)

No comments: